In view of the historically poor election result, 66 percent of Germans are loud ARD Germany trend of the opinion that CDU leader Laschet should resign from his position as party chairman. Those surveyed are most likely to believe that a traffic light coalition will make a new political start.

51 percent of all citizens believe that a coalition of the SPD, the Greens and the FDP is most likely to have a new political start (traffic light). 18 percent think that a coalition of the Union, Greens and FDP could mean a new beginning (Jamaica). For 24 percent, neither of the two coalition options are for a fresh start.

The majority of the supporters of the Union parties and the SPD trust a coalition led by their own party to make a fresh start. The supporters of the Greens clearly position themselves for a traffic light coalition. The voters of the FDP also expect a new beginning from the traffic lights rather than from Jamaica.

Olaf Scholz is a good Federal Chancellor for every second person

For every second eligible voter (50 percent), Olaf Scholz would be a good Federal Chancellor. On the other hand, 30 percent think the SPD candidate for chancellor is not a good chancellor. 20 percent cannot or do not want to give an assessment at the moment.

Olaf Scholz is currently in a similar position to Angela Merkel at a comparable point in time: In September 2005, 48 percent were of the opinion that Merkel would be a good chancellor.

Olaf Scholz – a good Federal Chancellor?

Two thirds for Laschet’s resignation as CDU boss

66 percent of those surveyed are of the opinion that Union Chancellor candidate Armin Laschet should step down as party leader in view of the historically poor CDU election result.

This is also the view of 60 percent of their own party supporters. Every fourth German (23 percent) and 36 percent of CDU supporters want Laschet to stay in office.

CDU supporters: Should Laschet resign from the CDU chairmanship?

Investigation facility

Population: Eligible voters in Germany
Survey method: Random-based telephone and online survey
Survey period: September 28-29, 2021
Number of cases: 1,248 respondents (816 telephone interviews and 432 online
Interviews)
Weighting: according to sociodemographic characteristics and recall behavior at choice
Fault tolerance: 2 * to 3 ** percentage points
Implementing institute: infratest dimap