Bayer Leverkusen is currently second in the Bundesliga and is convincing with strong performances. But the Werkself are also in top form internationally and are silencing a cauldron.

Bayer Leverkusen also won their second group game in the Europa League. The Bundesliga runner-up celebrated a 4-0 win at the traditional Scottish club Celtic Glasgow and secured the lead in the standings. The goals for the Werkself were scored by Piero Hincapié (25th minute), Florian Wirtz (35th), Lucas Alario (58th) and Amine Adli (90th + 4).

That’s how the game went

Both teams were welcomed splendidly by the frenetic Scottish fans who sang the hymn “You’ll never walk alone” with all their fervor before the game. “The atmosphere gives you goose bumps. The players should soak it up and convert it into energy,” said coach Seoane before kick-off at RTL. “There’ll be a bit of ‘rumble in the jungle’ in the first few minutes, they’ll be on everything that moves.”

The first accents were set by the guests, who in addition to Hincapie, Paulinho and Lucas Alario were new to the starting line-up compared to the Mainz game. Kerem Demirbay and Wirtz tried in the first minute from a distance, both times the former England goalkeeper Joe Hart was there. The good start was followed by the feared urge phase of the 51-time Scottish champions, who are currently only sixth in the Scottish Premier League under new coach Ange Postecoglou. The Japanese Kyogo Furuhashi played around Bayer keeper Hradecky, had a free run and thanks to a huge tackle by Jonathan Tah, he couldn’t get the ball (2nd).

Paulinho with a dream template

Fukuhashi (19th) and Carl Starfelt (20th), who failed because of the strong Hradecky, could not use any other great opportunities. Bayer wobbled during this phase and then received a present. David Turnbull tripped over his legs in his own penalty area, Mitchell Bakker passed in the middle to Hincapié, who kicked the ball straight into the goal.

It fell silent in Celtic Park, even more ten minutes later. Paulinho ran on the left after an opening pass from Demirbay in the direction of the penalty area, played hard against the far post, where Wirtz made it 2-0.

The break came for Celtic, who had lost 3: 4 at Betis Sevilla at the beginning, as called for. With renewed courage it went into the second half, but Hradecky destroyed the best chances of Furuhasi (46th) and Jota (51st and 60th). Alarios 3-0 then finally took the energy away from the hosts, especially since the hand penalty was controversial. Cameron Carter-Vickers threw himself sideways into a shot by Paulinho, the ball went to the upper arm. Referee Marci di Bello (Italy) pointed to the point after contact with the VAR.